InqBnB3: Inquisitiveness Below and Beyond the Sentence Boundary
– • Amsterdam • Oudemanhuispoort, University of Amsterdam
The InqBnB workshop series brings together researchers working on inquisitive semantics and closely related topics.
Veneeta Dayal Yale
Donka Farkas Santa Cruz
Morwenna Hoeks Santa Cruz
Sabine Iatridou MIT
Hana Kalpak Stockholm
Jonathan Pesetsky Amherst
Maribel Romero Konstanz
Wataru Uegaki Leiden
We are particularly interested in research that studies the semantics/pragmatics of questions and other inquisitive constructions, and in work investigating expressions which interact with the meaning of questions in interesting ways.
This includes (but is not limited to) contributions addressing the following topics:
- What are the sources of inquisitiveness (connectives, quantifiers, modals, conditionals, intonation)?
- How does inquisitive content interact with informative content in compositional semantics?
- Why can some expressions not embed questions or appear in questions?
- Which kinds of semantic content beyond inquisitive content are needed to capture the semantics/pragmatics of questions?
- In which ways is pragmatics sensitive to inquisitive content and other kinds of semantic content contributed by questions?
The third InqBnB workshop takes place in the city center of Amsterdam on 26-27 June 2019, just before Nadine Theiler’s PhD defense on 28 June. The workshop is hosted by the inquisitive semantics group at the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) in Amsterdam.
Workshop venue and accommodation
The workshop is held at the Oudemanhuispoort building of the University of Amsterdam (address: Oudemanhuispoort 4-6, Amsterdam) in room C1.23.
Invited speakers stay at Hotel Le Coin, located at Nieuwe Doelenstraat 5, Amsterdam.
We gratefully acknowledge financial support from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO, VIDI Grant) and the European Research Council (ERC, Starting Grant SH:680220).